PET

One of the most common calls that I receive is the call that involves an animal dog or cat eating something poisonous. It’s especially common during the holidays when the animals especially dogs tend to like to eat chocolate which is poisonous to them.

 

So, we need to know much to do in a case to translate something poison. First thing to note is you know in any case you should always call your veterinarian and you should always take them in for further evaluation because even though you may get the toxin out there, may still be some side effects.

 

We need to think about are you know first of all what did your animal eat so you know if it’s if it’s something that was caustic such as gasoline or bleach we don’t want to induce vomiting because that can actually cause burning of the esophagus coming back up. So, what you know not make the throat at that point if you determine something they that you know can be vomited back up without damaged.Dog or Cat Ate Something Poisonous

We definitely won’t do that as soon as possible and you know the sooner you know two hours is kind of the guideline that we use you know if animal ate something poisonous within hours will usually do something, some of the things that we see a lot of rat poison is one.

I would always recommend not having rat poison around your animals in the first place but in the case it does happen then you know to do it also chocolate. We see that a lot so those are two most common things something you will have around the house or including these first-aid kits is actual hydrogen peroxide and we need to make sure that it’s 3% peroxide because 3% peroxide will not cause damage if you have some of the more or higher grade peroxides. You can find more info about inducing a dog to vomit at petypets.com/make-dog-throw-up.

Like for instance for coming here that can actually cause internal damage so we want to stay away for that so just use the 3% peroxide that we find the guidelines are as per pound of an animal.

We don’t want to exceed  cc and a cc you know one tablespoon equals  cc. That’s just if you don’t have a syringe around them that’s a good thing to use as a guideline so one cc per pound for not to exceed. Usually you know in his case I would probably use about  cc initially and you know most useful thing to have around is a syringe. You have a syringe of use a turkey baster anything of that nature to get them to drink because they’re not going to drink it on the row unfortunately.

Basically what you do is you sure but so you know you’ll drop your peroxide just in a strange like this and I’ll do it here that make them throw up but just draw it up and you’re going to have to force them to eat or drink it. You just get to stand over them and just put it a little bit at a time and they will drink it as you’re forcing it to.

What I found works best from my personal experience unfortunately is that it’s kind of like watching a pot boil it will occur fast if you don’t watch them so you know put them away in a kettle have to give them the peroxide or somewhere a garage somewhere where you can clean the mess up easily enough.

Then check on the periodically because you know what can happen is if they throw it up they can actually eat it again so that’s going to be an issue, so once they throw up you know that’s a good thing to get the toxin up versus a most important second thing you know.